Wednesday, February 20, 2008

This Week in Life

Well, a lot of absurdity has happened in the U.S. over the past week in arenas such as Politics, the Criminal System, Celebritydom, and Sports. Let me comment on a few of them.

Man Sentenced to 8 years in prison after 19th DUI conviction
First off, let me say congratulations. Congratulations to this man for being able to pull off 19 DUIs. That is really something you have to go out of your and give extra effort to accomplish. After about 5 DUIs I would give up and realize that my inebriated driving skills were only so-so. (If you haven't seen this story click here)

But seriously, how baseless is the U.S. Criminal Court policy when it lets multiple DUI offenders to continue to live in society? After two or three DUIs a person's license is usually terminated forever, but do you think that is going to stop someone with this past to stop driving? No. I hope I am not alone in saying that U.S. law should implement long prison stays for any person convicted of over 3 DUIs. It is ridiculous that a society can pardon a person past that point, let alone 19 DUIs (The 18th apparently didn't cross the threshold of prisonable offenses).

This guy wasn't even the worst of his kind—5 other people have more than 20 DUIs in that state alone. The driver who killed former Minnesota Timberwolf, Malik Sealy, was on his 15th DUI when he went into the wrong lane and crashed head on with him. I am all for rehabilitation of criminals, but this might be the most ridiculous leniency I've ever witnessed. On to a brighter topic, sort of...


Lindsay Lohan poses nude in New York Magazine
Lindsay is being a bad girl once again. Months after her second or third "rehab stint" she has posed nude in New York Magazine, imitating Marilyn Monroe or something (Click for the NSFW Link). She might have one upped her friend Britney for most innovative career move, supplanting Spears' UPN reality show, "Chaotic". (That show was great by the way, I just couldn't sift through the complex plot line and use of cinematographic imagery.)


My Fantasy Baseball Team is Juicer Central
Apparently, my fantasy team got second in last year's regular season by cheating. Miguel Tejada, Andy Pettitte, and Brian Roberts are among my players that have recently been linked to the juice. This begs the question, should any money made off them be rescinded? Should my bet with TayePovs regarding Mr. Pettitte's ERA last year have an asterisk? These are all important questions that will be answered with time. I will assume that a large plurality of all baseball players are taking steroids and therefore it is inconsequential.

3 comments:

Taye Povs said...

I would like to inscribe big red asterisks on a couple 20-dollar bills of yours, and then blast them off into space.

Taye Povs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen said...

I work for the AG's office in Nebraska, and I'm pretty sure that a person with 19 DUIs there would be facing up to 50 years in prison. Not to mention the fact that I've seen people go through with four or five DUIs that got more time than this guy. Pathetic.